• Register to Access the Free Forums and 3 Free CEUs!

To view the content for the 3 free CEUs, please sign up today.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
  • Missing Access To A Course, Blitz or Exam? Have Technical Issues? Open a Help Desk Ticket
    Please Do Not Post in the Community About Access or Technical Issues
    CCO Business Hours for Help Desk and Coaching: Mon-Fri 9am-4pm Eastern

Resolved Burn codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCO_Bot

Automated Robot
Staff member
Question:
TheresaR:

Here's the question:
What CPT and ICD-9-CM codes would be used to code a subsequent encounter
in which a split-thickness skin graft, both thighs to the abdomen, measuring 45 ×
21 cm, is performed on a patient who has third-degree burns of the abdomen?
Documentation stated 20% of the body surface was burned, with 9% third
degree. The patient also sustained second-degree burns of the upper back.
Correct answer: 15100, 15101 × 9, 942.33, 942.24, 948.20

My question: Why are there two 942 codes? I thought we were only supposed to code a 942 code one time, combining the two areas.

Answer Thread:
Laureen:

Here is the video clip of this question being answered during the September Q&A Webinar.

And here is the Blog post with the transcript and video
https://www.cco.us/icd-9-cm-burn-coding/

TheresaR:
Thank you for clarifying, Laureen! You're the bestest!!!
I take my CPC exam this Saturday. I've studied like crazy and I'm more than ready to get it behind and enjoy the holidays! When I take the practice exams, I actually miss few and I stay within the allotted time, so I feel I'm prepared for the exam IF test anxiety does not take over!!!!

Laureen:
You sound positive and well prepared! And yes don't give in to that evil test anxiety monster. Here's a short read for you

http://www.ctl.ua.edu/ctlstudyaids/studyskillsflyers/testpreparation/testanxiety.htm

TheresaR:
Thank you for the read, Laureen! It's very good! I do believe one could actually apply it to everyday life as well as a big exam!!!
"See" you tonight! ;)

Michele:
Thank you for clarifying, Laureen! You're the bestest!!!
I take my CPC exam this Saturday. I've studied like crazy and I'm more than ready to get it behind and enjoy the holidays! When I take the practice exams, I actually miss few and I stay within the allotted time, so I feel I'm prepared for the exam IF test anxiety does not take over!!!!
Good Luck Saturday! Sounds like you have done everything you can to prepare and are going to nail this exam. Looking forward to hearing that you are doing your own version of the CCO "Happy Dance" soon. Happy Coding!

ThereseR:
Thank you, Michele! I sure sound confident! But honestly I've never been more nervous in my life!!! lol! I have always been a slow reader so I'm still worried about taking toooooooo looooooong on some of the questions. I'm heading to Nebraska to be with both of my sons for Christmas right after the exam, so I'll be doing a Happy Dance no matter what!!! :)

Carmen:
You sound positive and well prepared! And yes don't give in to that evil test anxiety monster. Here's a short read for you

http://www.ctl.ua.edu/ctlstudyaids/studyskillsflyers/testpreparation/testanxiety.htm
This is fantastic! Don't mind me if I grab it.

Carolyn Heath:
Great Article! I wish that I read this before I took my CPC exam first time around, but I was more relaxed and confident the second time around. Positive thoughts helped me pass the second time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back